[SGVLUG] OT2 - PIFTS.exe - might be fun to use strings on this

Robert Leyva mrflash818 at geophile.net
Fri Mar 13 13:17:50 PDT 2009

So, if I can get a copy of this exe, might be fun to see what STRINGS and
such, as discussed in the presentation, might yield...
***
Off Topic as its for a M$ Norton issue, but relevant to security, I think.

Yes, it is a like to an LJ article, but wanted to not copy/paste. Could be
a hoax, or not, but seem interesting either way.

http://godemperorleto.livejournal.com/124459.html

Excerpt:
"Apparently Pifts is a recent embedded "feature" which logs all Google
searches and cookies, then sends a report to several agencies, including
not only Symantec but also Microsoft, a strange server in Africa, and a
government server in DC.  A user discovered it, promptly posted a thread
on Norton's forums, and found out that Norton mods deleted it almost
immediately.  Indeed, all Google references to PIFTS.exe had been
vanishing."

--
"Knowledge is Power" -- Francis Bacon

Robert Leyva