[SGVLUG] Open Source products competitiveness/appeal

Miguel Hernandez migtek at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 23:05:55 PDT 2008

*And it somewhat contradicts Chris' assertion that
OLPC will lose its "cool" under peer pressure from kids with shiny new
proprietary computers*

Hmm, I took his assertion to mean the opposite- that the "initial" cool kids
would no longer be the cool kids since they wouldn't be having an OLPC.
I mean, giving a child something that they physically own is such a powerful
tool (& darn gratifying to see that look of "I can have this?" in their
eyes). Especially if they're too young to own a computer or the family's
finances are too tight- they own something that they're proud of & usually
tell (brag?) all their friends about it. Like I said, a very empowering tool
to a child, imho.

I'm sure Chris will straighten us both out, though. ;)

--miguel