[SGVLUG] Disabling LILO

jmd jmd8800 at charter.net
Tue Sep 26 15:24:25 PDT 2006

On Sep 26, 2006, at 1:10 PM, Lisa Moon wrote:

> I am having a problem installing a new 100 gig Maxtor hard drive in
> my computer.  I currently have a partitioned hard drive consisting
> of part Linux, part Windows XP Pro.  I want to copy the contents
> (except Linux) of my old 30 gig Maxtor hard drive to my new 100 gig
> hard drive, but the installation software that came with the new
> hard drive is complaining about LILO and it is advising me to
> disable and/or remove LILO.  Is diabling LILO advisable (since I'm
> not sure if I need the boot loader in order to boot Windows), and
> if so, how do I go about doing that?  I am a beginner to Linux, so
> a simple answer with as few technical directions as possible would
> be appreciated.

from your questions there is probably more than one way to go about
this. other options may prove more suitable.

first a little background on LILO as you say you are a beginner. LILO
resides in the MBR (master boot record) of a hard drive. when the
motherboard is finished with POST it hands over the system to the
MBR. in the MBR lies the code to start the OS(s). damaging the MBR
can (and usually does) create major problems. luckily with linux boot
disks one can repair LILO if needed. i don't know if this it true
with MS Windows based products.

if i am reading your email right you would like the new 100GB drive
to be windows only and boot straight to windows? if that is the case
you need not worry about damaging LILO in the MBR. i would suggest
mapping out a plan whereby you do not have to reboot your computer
after changing your MBR and before you have set up the MS Windows
drive. as claude said you can reinstall LILO onto the 30GB disk any
time. if that is the case try reading this:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11186-0.html?forumID=36&threadID=137901

this is dated 2003. there might be newer references to read.

once you disable/remove LILO from this drive you will no longer be
able to boot linux without a boot disk or cd. if you are making the
100GB drive windows only, this drive will need to be the master drive
on the primary IDE (assuming you are using IDE) unless you have a
motherboard that allows for different boot configurations/drives.

after all data is transfered to the 100GB drive, and this drive is
the primary boot device you can reinstall LILO on the 100GB drive MBR.

good luck..but before you do anything... back up any important data.
jeff