[SGVLUG] HP calls it pretexting when they do it.

Jean Chen narsil at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 16:53:45 PDT 2006

On 9/9/06, matti <mathew_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Funny how HP calls what they did (or their contractors)
> as "pretexting"... when others call it social hacking.
> ( basically the technique Mitnick used. )

I thought of Mitnick right away too.  I wonder who first decided to
describe it as "pretexting" instead of calling it like it is.  It will
be interesting if the new term catches on.

Google's Related Pages are interesting as usual...

> Mitnick Security Consulting, LLC
> Mitnick Security Consulting, LLC - Products, Services, and
> Training ...www.kevinmitnick.com
>
> MGM Movie Database: Hackers
> Synopsis of Hackers starring Jonny Lee Miller, Angelina Jolie,
> and ...
> www.mgmua.com

:) Jean

--
"Optimism can make you look stupid, but cynicism always makes you look
cynical." -Calum Fisher