[SGVLUG] Need help with clearing popups from windows system

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 16:22:41 PDT 2006

On 9/5/06, Alex Roston <tungtung at pacbell.net> wrote:
> Emerson, Tom wrote:
>
> >>You'll need to replace that one.
> >>

> >I think she uses some sites that are not firefox friendly...  (or,
> >rather, are too deeply entrenched in IE)
> >

> I meant you'll have to replace whatever file the adware has attached
> itself to, either by completely reinstalling windows, (which shouldn't
> cause problems w/the current data and settings, but make a backup
> anyway) or replacing the single file. The "right" way to do this is to
> turn the computer off, then boot from the CD-ROM drive, so current
> software can't affect the reinstall process. I haven't fooled with it
> lately, but at one point it was possible to do a "hot" reinstall of
> Windows, and this didn't work very well for replacing files which had
> been deliberately buggered.
>
> Alex

Hang on, are you saying it is possible to reinstall windoze on top of
an existing system and not have to reinstall all of your apps?  I mean
I thought one of the problems with windoze is that it's still
difficult to determine if your data files are stored in a subdirectory
of the App or in one of the "My blah" folder.  Can you repair in
place?

At least with *nix, you have your /home directory in a different
partition so if you have to reinstall or upgrade, you just have to
worry about system config files.

claude