[SGVLUG] Proprietary Binary Smackdown

Christopher Smith x at xman.org
Mon Sep 4 21:33:54 PDT 2006

John E. Kreznar wrote:
> I used to pretty much ignore the distinction between "free" and "open
> source", considering it to generate more heat than light.  But this
> issue really highlights the difference.
Let's not muddle this more than it already is. Binary only code goes
against the principles of open source just like they go against the
principles of free software. The "free" vs. "open source" distinctions
are very much ones of packaging, marketing, and tactics, rather than
differences in goals. That said, ESR's argument is very much a tactical
one, a "means to the end" kind of tactic. It is interesting for a number
of reasons, but it also throws a larger issue on the table: to what
extent, and in what ways, is the Linux community willing to compromise
in order for Linux to be a successful platform?

I agree with the notion that this is an issue for thoughtful, rather
than emotional, dialog. In my experience it is paradoxically easier to
find the former at a LUG meeting, with the latter being more common on
mailing lists. ;-)

--Chris