[SGVLUG] Starting a Java Study Group.

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed Oct 25 15:37:16 PDT 2006

> -----Original Message----- Of Jason Riker
> On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 17:40 -0700, Emerson, Tom wrote:
> > > -----Original Message----- Of Jason Riker
> > >
> > > I want to start a new Java Study Group .  [...]
> >
> > SGVLUG does host a "devsig", and the study of Java would
> > certainly be a great "developer" topic for that group! [...]
>
> I think it would be great to be able to blend the two in some
> way.  My primary concern is that this new group would focus
> on topics that are too elementary to the current devsig
> members.  If you don't think that would be a problem, I'd
> certainly like to discuss this further.

Well, the devsig attendance is down to 4-ish "regulars" (Me, Mike, Juan,
Bob, and sometimes Robert).  I know my knowledge of Java is "suspect", I
know that Bob focuses on Forth, Juan has done some assembly and C I'd
imagine (he's the one working on the array-of-wireless-usb-keyboards for
classroom use, and is working at the device driver level...)  Robert
already mentioned he'd help "teach", and Mike does a fair amount with
webpages and such, so even amongst the "regulars" we're all over the map
as to "what level to start at"

Since several others have chimed in as "yeah, that's a great idea", (and
a cry of "weeknights!" has gone out as well) how about this:

We'll promote this as the subject of the next Devsig meeting (Nov. 4th)
At the meeting we can discuss:

  -- what level to start at ["hello Devsig!"]
  -- when to hold meetings [how often, when, and where]
  -- what level we'd like to end at [goals are always good...]