[SGVLUG] resize encrypted filesystem

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 16:23:40 PDT 2006

Anyone know if it is possible to resize an encrypted filesystem in place?

I'm trying to resize a spare partition to make room so I can try the
latest version of mandriva.  Diskdrake knows it's encrypted (in the
sense that there's an option for encryption and it will prompt me for
the password) but when i try to use the resize option its says the
data will be lost.    I tried GParted but it doesn't have a clue.

Here's the entry from my /etc/fstab file:

/dev/sda9 /mnt/secret ext3 user,encryption=AES512,encrypted,noauto 0 0

Everything that I can find says to copy the data to another area, do a
destructive resize, recreate the encrypted filesystem and then copy
the data back.    I've got the data backed up on an external disk but
I'd prefer to do it all in place w/o having to leave an unprotected
copy of the files lying about.  I suppose I could use mountloop to
create a temporary encrypted file system.  I looked at the man page
for resize2fs but don't see any options for telling it it's encrypted.

any suggestions?

claude