[SGVLUG] New card on the market: helio "Hybrid"

Stan Slonkosky stan.ke6zc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 22:28:08 PDT 2006

On 10/6/06, Emerson, Tom <Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:

> be 802.1 a/b/g I presume?)  The 3G service is priced at $85/month, which
> is about what I recall other vendors asking for on their service as
> well.  Right now, the card itself is "free" if you sign up for a 2-year
> plan.

According to posting at  http://www.evdoforums.com/thread3452.html Hello is
reselling Sprint's EVDO service and using a card based on the AirCard 580.
Maybe it IS an AirCard 580 since the hardware requirements include either a
WiFi card or builtin WiFi on your computer.

Both Sprint and Verizon offer  EVDO service for $60/month. With Verizon you
also have to voice service, otherwise it's $80. Sprint doesn't require voice
service for the $60 price (and I think you can get it for even less if you
sign up for a phone as modem plan). Verizon has cancelled people's accounts
if they use more than 10 GB per month (some say you'd better not use more
than 5 GB). Hello's terms of service state that you aren't allowed to use
more than 160 MB per month, but some people claim that's a mistake on their
web site and that really means per day.

 CHAPTER 10: UNLIMITED DOES NOT MEAN UNREASONABLE
Helio unlimited data service plans may be used for the following purposes:
(i) Internet browsing; (ii) e-mail; and (iii) intranet access (including
access to corporate intranets, e-mail and individual productivity
applications like customer relationship management, sales force and field
service automation if available). HELIO UNLIMITED DATA PLANS CANNOT BE USED
WITH SERVER DEVICES, HOST COMPUTER APPLICATIONS OR OTHER SYSTEMS THAT DRIVE
CONTINUOUS HEAVY TRAFFIC OR DATA SESSIONS. EXAMPLES OF SUCH PROHIBITED USES
INCLUDE, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WEB CAMERA POSTS OR BROADCASTS, CONTINUOUS JPEG
FILE TRANSFERS, AUTOMATIC DATA FEEDS, TELEMETRY APPLICATIONS, AUTOMATED
FUNCTIONS OR ANY OTHER MACHINE-TO-MACHINE APPLICATIONS. ALL USE OF WIRELESS
DATA SERVICE IS SUBJECT TO USE RESTRICTIONS AS SET FORTH IN THE HELIO
ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY. Such data sessions cannot be used as a substitute for
private lines or frame relay connections. We reserve the right to deny or
terminate service, without notice, to anyone who uses Helio service in any
manner prohibited above or whose usage as determined by Helio is excessive
or abusive that detrimentally impacts our service or network. Generally,
excessive or abusive usage is characterized by monthly data usage of *160* *
megabytes* or more.

--
Stan Slonkosky