[SGVLUG] New card on the market: helio "Hybrid"

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Fri Oct 6 17:01:48 PDT 2006

> -----Original Message----- Of Steve Bibayoff
> On 10/6/06, Emerson, Tom <Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:
> > With, of course, only windows drivers... :(
> >
> > I've started the process of hounding them for "linux
> drivers", ...
>
> A better strategy might be to try to hound them w/ hardware
> specifications, then let the Linux community write the
> driver. They get the bonus of wider audience for their
> product and they don't have to maintain the driver themselves.

That's roughly what I did, actually -- while I don't remember the exact
words of my message, it was something like this:

  question: "will you supply drivers for linux?
             if not, will you supply the info needed so
             third party developers (such as myself)
             could write and provide those drivers?"

I've heard a "vague" rumor that the folks that are behind this Helio
phone are or originally were going to be "fully open source" about their
products and services, but somewhere between the glowing hype and dim
reality, that hasn't happened yet...  (again, searching for specifics is
a tad difficult...)