[SGVLUG] Need a decrepit laptop

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Tue Oct 3 16:23:06 PDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 03:50:24PM -0700, Michael Proctor-Smith wrote:

> I have a one that is I have not turned on in years last I think it had
> a single green vertical line.I

I assume that means a working display with a line on it, not a single
green line on a dark screen. :-)  Headless would be...tricky (no, I
don't want to solve it with a wireless card, another laptop, and VNC.
:-)

> ... could dig it out if you are
> interested. 8MB ram and like 100-120 MHz. I Guess if you don't
> it is up for grabs.

Wow, 8 MB of ram.  That's actually below the minimum software
requirements when *not* running Wine.  Maybe I'd better rephrase my
post....

It's an interesting question if a modern Linux would run on it--without
X, probably.  I may even have tried Slackware in 8Mb, I can't remember.

You know, that thing would make a very low-power server or firewall.

Dustin