[SGVLUG] SUSE abandoning ReiserFS

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Tue Oct 3 10:40:53 PDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 10:46:25PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> Don't forget that if you expect to grow an old (created with tools that
> didn't support online filesystem size growth) ext3 filesystem beyond
> certain thresholds it will need to be prepared offiline.

Didn't know that.  Do the tools warn you if you try something
impossible?  I assume so....

> Does reiser3 shrink online?  I know it can grow online.

Not last I knew.

> And as for growth and shrinking being a property of LVM, it isn't.  LVM
> just creates an environment where that capability is useful more often.

Yeah.  Though the newest GPartEd seems to let you move partitions around
almost like they were LVM volumes.

> Also another surprising thing is that managing growing/shrinking LVM
> logical volumes and their contained filesystem is a manual process.  I
> typically resize the filesystem a bit smaller than I expect my new
> volume size to be (when shrinking) and then run the filesystem resize
> utility without a size specification to use the remaining portion of the
> newly sized logical volume.  IMO this should be automated and
> standardized by the LVM scripts, but isn't.

> Has anyone looked into this?

I think you have to do it that way.  I guess the LVM people would say
it's the job of a higher-level tool.  And actually that's sort of
true--GPartEd or EVMS can handle all the steps.

They could just include some helper shell scripts with LVM, though.
Practically, that would help.

Dustin