[SGVLUG] OT: video card

Dustin Laurence dustin at dogbert.laurences.net
Wed Mar 29 10:34:55 PST 2006

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 09:59:30AM -0800, Harold Totten wrote:

>    The Matrox looks good.  It's AGP.  I guess I should switch.

By the fact that you were asking about a PCI card I assumed the machine
didn't have an AGP slot.  That's why I didn't recommend the simple
solution, NewEgg.  If it does, then NewEgg has 35 different cards under
$30, some with nvidia chipsets so they're pretty much guaranteed to have
a working Linux driver.  The cheapest one available will be better than
any PCI card.

For that matter, turns out I was wrong--NewEgg has 36 PCI cards, but it
looks like they're actually a touch *more* expensive than the cheap AGP
cards.  Probably because there aren't too many non-AGP boards left in
use and nobody wants a PCI card if they have an AGP slot.

I've been getting next-day delivery for anything from their local
warehouse for the cheapo UPS 3-day delivery.  Sometimes it feels quicker
than a drive to Fry's in Burbank. :-)

Dustin