[SGVLUG] portability with svga

Jeff Keys jskeys at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 14:44:37 PST 2006

     I appreciate you guys taking the time to mess with this stuff.  This program was written to support a recent 3rd grade edition of Houghton-Mifflin math and so reflects the limited range of material in that text.  If I ever get around to extending it to higher grade levels I will certainly have to do things like handling larger numbers and division problems with remainders expressed as fractions or decimals.
     The primary tarball has printable wall charts with instructions for each routine.  I will have to revisit those as well, given your very useful input on the screen instructions.  Don't know how the remainder conventions for division got by me, but I just inserted a section to cover that.  Also changed a couple of headings on the comparison and ordering section; still thinking about how to make the directions clearer.
     Modified the code so that < and > will work both with and without a shift.
     There is a secret interrupt:  typing EXIT (upper case) from the man menu will do it.  On some distros it exits and the cursor is missing; typing 'reset' will fix this.  (Thanks to Tom for that.)
Any shared version of this thing will have the ^C disabled; when I get it running in a classroom I don't want Arthur Upstart Jr. interrupting it on me.  Only the teacher should know how.  (Of course there's always some joker who will figure out to go to another terminal and use kill....)
     The chmod problem came about because I've been using a windows ftp program; every time I moved the binary through a FAT file my distro reset the permissions.  So I just now got wise and started using gftp;  it seems to preserve all the x's.  What I get for using windows in the first place.
     Thanks again.
John