[SGVLUG] Blah - linux install headache on intel 945g based system

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 11:21:29 PST 2006

On 3/13/06, matti <mathew_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
-- snip, snip

> So we installed a PATA harddrive (i.e. old style
> ATA).
>
> Linux didnt see the DVD burner.. so we used an
> external DVD (usb).
>
> After patching get the following on boot:

So is this the installer or after install trying to boot the system.

> Red Hat nash version 4.1.18.1
> Reading all physical volumes...
> no volume groups found.. (repeat 3x)

This message is nothing to worry about unless you are using logical volumes.

> mount: error 6 mounting ext3

Seems to be your main problem. Can't mount real root so can't switch
root from initrd to real root. Maybe you don't have ext3 module in
initrd or built into the kernel.