[SGVLUG] Plone Guru here?

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Fri Feb 24 15:16:18 PST 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 02:11:32AM -0800, Johannes Graumann wrote:
> Anybody here a big Plone Fish? Need some help - have put way to much
> time into
[snip]

I've put almost no time into Plone so I don't know much about it, but
it was intended to be used for the Linux Documentation Project = LDP,
but never implemented for that use, partly because our host site
refused to allow it and partly because the person working on it had
disabling health problems.  But this was a few years ago.  The reason
why our host wouldn't allow it was not given but the implication was
that Plone was too resource intensive.

So I've recently found out that one can create a static site from a
plone site, using cmfdeployment.  But I haven't had time yet to look
into this although I downloaded debian Plone years ago.  Can one
implement Plone using a command line interface?  I have a static
personal website.  Can I recreate this using Plone?  My static site
doesn't allow any user interaction like logging in, etc.

Of course the LDP needs an interactive site, but the mirrors could
remain non-interactive  Anyone willing to help get Plone implemented
at LDP?  You might even have to do most of it yourself, although the
discussion group would need to OK what the state or categories of
documents should be.  I've worked some on this.  Someone in France was
helping with Plone, and might be able to help a little or at least
supply the previous "requirements list".  Without Plone, LDP now has
no database except the directory scheme on the website.

		David Lawyer