[SGVLUG] shell script & nawk exposure

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed Feb 22 17:11:15 PST 2006

I just wrote

> per the man page, flag "-t" has this entry:
>
>        -t     sort by modification time
>
> which doesn't specify ascending or descending, merely "sorted by time"

and in the oh-no-second after hitting send, I realized this indicated MODIFICATION time, NOT the time the file was CREATED -- I don't think there is such a beast, is there? ("ctime" would seem to to be the obvious choice, but apparently the ctime is the last change-of-status time, not "creation" time)

In practice, "ctime" may be sufficient -- what exactly does "change of status" mean, and/or what actions actually change it?  (change of ownership or permissions, perhaps?)  Such a change may never happen in practice, so the ctime effectively remains the creation time...