[SGVLUG] My ISP restricting my connect time. How to get info fast.

John E. Kreznar jek at ininx.com
Wed Feb 22 04:35:43 PST 2006

David Lawyer <dave at lafn.org> writes:

> I recently posted that it took about 36 hours to upgrade my Debian to
> the latest "testing" version (not really a version) using a 28.8k
> modem.

I hope you're using apt-proxy so all those downloads are now mirrored
at your site in a form where they will automatically be used for the

> ... I use fetchmail to get my mail and exim to send it. ...  And
> both seem to run as daemons ...

You could change that.

> The problem is, how to detect when they're both done.  I would
> rather not have to bother to write a script to do this.  Any
> suggestions.

Break down and write scripts.  Wrap both fetchmail and exim in scripts
which first use lockfiles to hold the connection up, and then when
they're done, use a conditional "poff-if" to tear it down if they're
the last user.  Scripts appended below are not what you need, but
might be useful for reference.

> There's also the problem of minimizing connect time using the lynx
> browser.  When I go to a site that has an html doc I want to read, how
> do I download all the html files the doc has been split up into?  I
> manually used wget for this but it was a chore to type a long url into
> it.

Use wwwoffle.  It's a debian package.

#!/bin/sh

# SYNOPSIS
#	pon-if <id>

# DESCRIPTION

#	Lock file /var/lock/modem-users.lock to gain exclusive access
#	to the /var/lock/modem-user-*.lock name-space.  Then if the
#	modem link is down, remove possible (stale) files in this
#	name-space and bring the modem up.  Then add <id> to the list
#	of current users of the modem by creating a file
#	/var/lock/modem-user-<id>.lock.  Finally, release the lock on
#	the /var/lock/modem-user-*.lock name-space.

#	Uses /var/lock/LCK..modem to test whether the modem link is
#	up.  (What's a better way?)

# SEE ALSO /usr/bin/poff-if

lockfile /var/lock/modem-users.lock

if [ ! -e /var/lock/LCK..modem ] ; then
    rm -f /var/lock/modem-user-*.lock
    /usr/sbin/pppd call provider
fi

touch /var/lock/modem-user-$1.lock

rm -f /var/lock/modem-users.lock

#!/bin/sh

# SYNOPSIS
#	poff-if <id>

# DESCRIPTION

#	Lock file /var/lock/modem-users.lock to gain exclusive access
#	to the /var/lock/modem-user-*.lock name-space.  Then delete
#	<id> from the list of current users of the modem by removing
#	any file /var/lock/modem-user-<id>.lock.  If this leaves no
#	remaining current users of the modem, take down the modem
#	link.  Finally, release the lock on the
#	/var/lock/modem-user-*.lock name-space.

# SEE ALSO /usr/bin/pon-if

lockfile /var/lock/modem-users.lock

rm -f /var/lock/modem-user-$1.lock
if [ -z "$(ls /var/lock/modem-user-*.lock 2>/dev/null)" ] ; then killall -q -w pppd ; fi

rm -f /var/lock/modem-users.lock

- --
 John E. Kreznar jek at ininx.com 9F1148454619A5F08550 705961A47CC541AFEF13
  ... who has not requested or consented to any political jurisdiction.