[SGVLUG] New Linux Lug

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Wed Feb 15 22:06:20 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 06:49:56PM -0800, Emerson, Tom wrote:
> [...]
Correction.  I was overstating the case and should have wrote "is more
apt to fail".

> I don't know -- it would certainly be an easy argument to make that
> some/many/all of the ones I listed above are defunct or nearly so,
> but I'd have to go on your word that was the case.
[snip]
> As it is, our group claims
> membership to a 40 mile+ strip of land from Pasadena to Pomona (and
> as I live in La Crescenta, that adds another 5 miles to the western
> border...)  We certainly wouldn't turn anyone away who came from
> Burbank or Glendale [which happen to be directly south of where I
> live...] but given our name, they might think we couldn't/wouldn't
> serve them all that well...

I once thought we should change our name to Pasadena LUG, but you've
got a good point that there might be some slight disenchantment to
those who don't live in Pasadena.  However, if the Azusa LUG flies,
then I'll support changing it to Pasadena LUG since Azusa is also in
the San Gabriel Valley.

			David Lawyer

The name per wikipedia supposedly comes from the San Gabriel River but
from Pasadena to Monrovia, the watershed mostly feeds the Los Angeles
River, much of this via way of the Rio Hondo.

Here's a list of cities we serve from wikipedia:
 The incorporated cities and unincorporated neighborhoods of the San
   Gabriel Valley include:
Altadena          Covina                Monterey Park     South San Gabriel
Alhambra          Duarte                North El Monte    South San Jose Hills
Arcadia           East Pasadena         Pasadena          Temple City
Avocado Heights   El Monte              Rosemead          Valinda
Azusa             Glendora              Rowland Heights   Vincent
Baldwin Park      Hacienda Heights      San Gabriel       Walnut
Bassett           Irwindale             San Marino        West Covina
Bradbury          La Canada Flintridge  Sierra Madre      West Puente Valley
Charter Oak       La Puente             South El Monte
City of Industry  Monrovia              South Pasadena

   Many people consider the communities of [71]Glendale and [72]La
   Crescenta-Montrose to be part of the San Gabriel Valley, although they
   are part of the [73]San Fernando Valley and the [74]Crescenta Valley,
   respectively. [75]San Dimas, [76]Chino Hills and [77]La Verne are
   adjacent to the San Gabriel Valley, but are properly considered part of
   the [78]Pomona Valley. The community of [79]El Sereno, in the city of
   [80]Los Angeles, is at the westernmost edge of the Valley.