[SGVLUG] Burning laptop anyone?

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Thu Aug 31 14:51:17 PDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 06:08:36PM -0700, Sean O'Donnell wrote:

> here's what I was talking about...
>
> http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=17664
>
> heh... FUD!

Hmm.  Three things stand out: (1) they appear to have used P4s, i.e.
desktop chips, and (2) they said that all they actually knew about was
short-term reversible effects, the rest is conservative speculation, and
(3) they used the laptops with their legs held together, claiming it's
necessary to support it--it isn't necessary, and I never do it to avoid
blocking the air intakes (which are on the bottom of my laptop--I'd have
preferred it somewhere else for this reason, but I couldn't find
everything else I wanted too).

They do know that insane Americans will sue them at the drop of a hat,
so I can understand why it's good advice to *give*.  It may well be good
advice to *take*, I can't say, but if it is I'm surprised I haven't
heard suggestions to avoid briefs for the same reasons.

Dustin