[SGVLUG] awk question - solved

Ramsin Savra ramsinsavra at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 30 13:08:54 PDT 2006

  Guys thanks for your comments. It is solved.

  The main problem was my fault! sometimes for debugging purpose, I pass a command as argument to echo to see how it is formatted during run-time, like:

  echo "cut -f 2 file1.tmp  | grep  DB | awk ' {print $0} ' | cut -f  1-2 -d, > file2.tmp"
  cut -f 2 file1.tmp  | grep  "DB" | awk ' {print $0} ' | cut -f  1-2 -d, > file2.tmp

  so while run-time the first line was displaying:
   awk ' { print "TheScriptFileName" } '

  but the second line which was the real code was working fine. However, even for such situations if I do print $_   that works in both lines and name of the script file will not be displayed.

  Sorry for any inconvenience I might have made.

  Thanks,