[SGVLUG] What kind of talks do you want to hear?

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Mon Aug 28 14:56:30 PDT 2006

Hmm.  I'm exhausted from going to WorldCon (I allegedly promised a
friend I'd go a long time ago), but one amusing idea occurs to me.  Some
of us might know that ESR (Eric Scott Raymond) has been flogging a
couple of controversial ideas lately, the latest that we should accept
binaries in userland and embrace a more Freespire-like philosophy.

I thought of this because ESR turned out to be at WorldCon and I heard
him speak--er, opine for an hour anyway. :-)  I asked about a talk but
we'd have to fly him down, which doesn't seem likely on our
(non-)budget.  However...if we have some members with strong opinions on
this matter we could stage a "proprietary binary smackdown" event with a
few people willing to argue on each side.  In keeping with the WWE-style
name "smackdown," I figure color is more important than closely-reasoned
arguments (which are better made in print anyway).  Anyone think that
sort of pro-wrestling-like theater could be fun?  Anyone actually
willing to put on brightly-colored tights and get in the ring on one
side or the other?(*)

Dustin

* On second thought, there are very few LUGgers I ever want to see in
tights, so we'll just drop that idea like a hot brick. :-)