[SGVLUG] Sending backup file to remote/offsite storage

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Thu Aug 10 00:59:59 PDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 10:43:41AM -0700, Matthew Gallizzi wrote:
> Tom,
>
> Hmm, what I'd probably do is one of the following
> 1) If he wants version history, write a bash script to tar the files that
> you feel are crucial (/home, /etc..) on his system, put them in a cronjob,
> have the .tgz be saved to the same location, then have rsync copy over the
> files in /home/backups or something to your server.

One problem with a big tar archive (file) is that if it gets
corrupted, everything could be lost.  Better to have a lot of small
files as tbackup had.  It used afio instead of tar (although tar was
an option) which creates one compressed file per file.  But it's
defunct since it wasn't maintained.  It was programmed modularly with
about 50 different C programs and scripts all linked into one program.
Nice job!  I looked some of these over but was too busy to volunteer
to maintain it.

> 2) If he just wants backups and version history isn't important, then rsync
> his /etc, /home, and whatever else you want to a location on your server.
> Set rsync to only copy over the files that are either updated or new.

A problem here is suppose you mess up a file on day one.  Then on day
2 you look at it and realized you messed it up and want the original
back. But unfortunately, at night after day one the messed-up file was
backed up and there's no copy of the original around.  cpbk (what I
use) avoids that by putting a "trash" directory on the backup drive.
More than once I've recovered what I needed from the trash.
Unfortunately, cpbk became unmaintained and Debian dropped it.

So is it true that the best backup packages of moderate simplicity
have been abandoned.

			David Lawyer