[SGVLUG] linux cluster redo

jmd jmd8800 at charter.net
Wed Aug 2 20:37:27 PDT 2006

On Aug 2, 2006, at 5:25 PM, Erik Espinoza wrote:

> Hey Jeff,
>
> Clusters are a generic term for a type of technology. It really
> depends on what you are trying to do. An Apache web cluster is
> different than a MPICH farm or a parallel job farm.

this was mentioned in the posts in the spring. i know very little
about sys administration. this is a two fold project. one to actually
sit down and decide what hardware suits my needs and then learn a bit
about administering the cluster. and as said before, this is just a
*home project*. my thoughts are to focus on doing
climateprediction.net  for starters and use something like npaci-
rocks as it come with everything needed like a good MPI.

what i am looking at hardware wise is older opteron/xeon based
systems with gigabit ethernet. (i certainly cannot afford an sgi
altix with itaniums and NUMAflex interconnects.) one of the questions
i kick around is, should i have a single processor motherboard or
dual or even quad? i know in the sgi origins the NUMAflex
architecture affords global addressing. without global addressing
there might be serious latency issues. if i am using gigabit ethernet
will i be having latency problems if i use 4 systems each with dual
or quad cpus? it would seem to me that the cpu interconnects on a
multiprocessor board would be much faster than the gigabit ethernet
from board to board. so one board contains results and another board
is still working. board one might be sitting there tapping its foot
waiting for board two.

getting back to the original question... i don't know enough to know
what i want. :) something under 1000$ i can play with to learn. not
being a computer professional i am not sure of what questions to ask.
or proper terminology.

jeff