[SGVLUG] Upcoming stuff (was introduction)

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed Aug 2 15:09:07 PDT 2006

> -----Original Message----- Of Dustin Laurence
>
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 03:33:36PM -0400, James Neff wrote:
> >
> >    Darn,  and  I  was  looking  forward to an elaborate,
> but embarrassing
> >    initiation  ceremony.
>
> Hmm, what about an adaptation of the sailor's "crossing the
> line" ceremony?

[Oh, drat -- that reminds me that I forgot to get some details from you
about last Friday, but best not choke the list with that]

> In stead of becoming a Son of Neptune, you
> become a Son of Tux.  The original can feature such rough
> play as being shaved with a sharpened barrel-hoop with tar
> for shaving cream and being towed on a line behind the
> ship--is that elaborate and embarrassing enough for you, or do
> you desire more liklihood of bodily harm? :-)

Hmmm... A true test of tux-worthiness would be to remove Microsoft
Windows from a "hardened" system and replace it with Linux, but that
could lead to bodily harm of the onlookers more than anything else...

We could, however, place him up on the podium as the main speaker for
the evening -- nothing gets more elaborate [and potentially
embarrassing] than that around here, however I recall he said something
about being (conveniently) "out of the area" -- oh, wait, Dustin: you
have experience setting up h.243 or whatever it's called, right?  Maybe
we could video-conference him in as the speaker...

My point here being that I don't think we have a /confirmed/ speaker for
this month -- anyone care to contradict me? [please!!!]  And while I'm
at it, who is up for next month?