[SGVLUG] introduction

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Tue Aug 1 22:56:58 PDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 08:53:38AM -0700, bobjaffray at juno.com wrote:
> BJ: How can anyone "join" our group since we have no membership,
> no officers, no essential organization, etc? The only reason anything
> ever happens is so many people pitch in - anarachically.
>
> Bob Jaffray

While it may not be clear who is a member and who isn't, SGVLUG is
legally classified as an informal organization.  It has a website,
meetings, and is open to the public.  I looked into this when someone
years ago just shut down our website without providing for a
transition.  Upon checking the law I found that people who run an
organization such as SGVLUG do have some legal responsibilities and
duties.  And this is as it should be.  For example, if you are the
only one that has a copy of our mailing list, and you want to quit
SGVLUG, you have an obligation to attempt pass on that list to someone
who will continue using it for a SGVLUG mailing list.

			David Lawyer