[SGVLUG] Green-eye reduction... (?)

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 11:31:44 PDT 2006

On 8/1/06, Emerson, Tom <Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:
> It seems every freeware and commercial photo "retouching" program out
> there touts their ability to reduce or eliminate "red-eye", but what
> about green/yellow-eye?  When I take pictures of my dogs, their eyes
> don't reflect the same way humans do (makes them look creepy/alien,
> which would be OK for halloween, but...)
>
> For reference:  http://osnut.homelinux.net/images/DSCF0172.JPG  (be
> patient, it's a big file...)

Tom continues his master plan to make us look at his dogs ;-). Anyway
Tom you are a programmer look and see if gimp has a plug-in(or more
likely imagemagic, then it would be scriptable) for red eye reduction
and then change the colors it uses to be appropriate for dog eye
reflection.

Funnly enough Looking a dog which have  behind the light reseptor
reflectors to increase night vision. It reminded me of an artical I
saw resently that proto-primates evolved color vision (and gave up
seperiour night vision) in order to combat the being eaten by snakes.
So we have red eye in pictures and dog/cats have yellow or green eye
because snakes evolved camouflage that is almost perfect without color
vision.