[SGVLUG] IMAP notifiers

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 17:37:11 PDT 2005

On 10/28/05, John E. Kreznar <jek at ininx.com> wrote:

> Claude Felizardo <cafelizardo at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > What do people use for email notifiers on Linux?
>
> > At home on my windoze box, I use the netscape/mozilla notifier which
> > sits in the task bar and it just works, letting me know when I have
> > email in any of my accounts, either POP3 or IMAPs.
>
> Instead of POP or IMAP, why don't you take mail by SMTP straight to
> your site?  Then you can set up a simple "mail watch" script which
> announces new mail in real time as it arrives.  This site has not been
> without SMTP mail receipt since about 1992, spanning numerous ISPs and
> static IP addresses; only the domain name has been constant.
>
> A permanent feature of my main desktop display is a mail watch window
> in the lower left corner.  When mail arrives, the script extracts the
> From: and Subject: entries and prints them together with the minute of
> arrival in one tidy line in that window.  The script is invoked
> through procmail, through which all mail passes anyway.
>
> - --
>  John E. Kreznar jek at ininx.com 9F1148454619A5F08550 705961A47CC541AFEF13

Sorry, i should have explained that I have many accounts that must be
kept separate and that I need to monitor them from several locations:
at home and at one or more office locations.

In addition to my gmail account which I now use for mailing lists, I
have my primary personal email account which collects and receives
forwarded email from my legacy accounts.   Work requires at least two
accounts.   My primary account is on the IMAP server located at the
customer's facility.  It was a real pain when I was relocated from JPL
to Caltech as that required connecting to a different domain and I had
to move several years worth of mail.  Same project, just a different
part of town and it made sense to connect to the server in the same
building.  My employer, Raytheon, requires that we do not forward
email in case we get sent company sensitive email so that's another
account.  I don't want to forward personal and customer mail to
Raytheon either especially since I don't have a login shell there.

My long term goal is to move all personal email to a server at home
but i'd still have two accounts to monitor.  I also don't normally
have a shell connected to every server so having a little window that
could get covered won't help.   Switching to another browser that can
be minimized doesn't help either.  No, what I'm looking for is a
notifier that sits in the taskbar and runs up the flag when something
new shows up, preferable with something that indicates which account.
It sounded like kbiff would do just that.

Oh, it just occurred to me that I want to be able to check email on my
laptop as well so that's another "location."

I have installed kmail and will give it a try when I get a chance to
see if it's a general KDE problem with OpenSSL.

thanks,
claude