[SGVLUG] IMAP notifiers

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 11:10:34 PDT 2005

What do people use for email notifiers on Linux?

At home on my windoze box, I use the netscape/mozilla notifier which
sits in the task bar and it just works, letting me know when I have
email in any of my accounts, either POP3 or IMAPs.   At work, when I
was on a Solaris box I'd just run newmail in the same console window
that was tailing /var/log/messages and have it monitor my /var/mail
folder and that was sufficient.  But now I'm on a Linux box that can't
mount my mail files plus I want to monitor a few other imap servers.

I'm running KDE 3.3 which came with Mandriva 2005 (formerly known as
Mandrake 10.2) and I've been trying to run kbiff but I keep getting
OpenSSL errors:

kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7:
undefinedsymbol: PKCS7_content_free
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7:
undefinedsymbol: OpenSSL_add_all_algorithms
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7:
undefinedsymbol: OpenSSL_add_all_algorithms_conf
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7:
undefinedsymbol: OpenSSL_add_all_algorithms_noconf

I've tried various google searches and see that others have had
similar problems with various apps that try to use OpenSSL.  None of
the suggestions have helped, didn't see anything obvious in any of the
HOW-TOs or FAQs.  I'm patched as of earlier this week though I see
that there were some new ones that came out recently but they are
addressing local user problems.

Using the latest version of Mozilla, I'm able to access four different
IMAP servers with SSL w/o any problems.  I have not tried any KDE
based mail readers.

Any suggestions?
claude