[SGVLUG] dslextreme server email port 25

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Tue Oct 25 10:53:50 PDT 2005

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, matti wrote:

> PLEASE LET US know what your experience
> is w/dslextreme's allowing you to
> run your own mail server.

I've been doing it for a while, no problem at all.  However, my volume is
extremely small there, since I'm not going to migrate to laurences.net as
my primary mail site until I have some other stuff set up, and I'm
apparently as slow as molasses in playing network admin.

> largely due to the way their billing system
> is setup .. IF there's an error on your
> bill - EVEN if it is for a small amount
> (say a few $ .. ) and the system believes
> this amount is over due - your connection
> gets auto-magikally shutdown....

Hmm, I didn't have a problem with this--I had to change a credit card
because someone got ahold of the number or something, and didn't remember
to update my automatic billing info at DSLExtreme.  They sent me some
emails that my account was overdue and I didn't check the account for two
months, and never got my service shutdown.

> it is a serious problem, that combined with
> loss of sync issues - I'm guesing their
> network is .. perhaps a 90-94% uptime ...

Hmm.  I've seen the sync problems, but wasn't sure if it was on their end
or the DSL modem.  I think I see much better than 94%, though sometimes
nameserver lookup seems incredibly slow.

One of my server projects is to put a BIND cache there so I have local
copies of common requests.

Dustin