[SGVLUG] Mondo backups on "mondo" tape drives

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Wed Oct 19 00:00:27 PDT 2005

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 09:45:23PM -0700, Dustin wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Jeff Carlson wrote:
>

> Well, at the bottom of my Mondo Rescue notes, I put a great number of
> links to backup programs/systems/scripts:
>
> http://www.laurences.net/Dustin/Computer/UnixQuickies/mondorescue.html

The two programs I use for backup: cpbk and sitecopy aren't listed in
this list.  cpbk (copy backup) just copies my home directory daily to
another hd and then when I occasionally update all my software with
apt-get, it copies everything.  This backup hd is bootable.

Then sitecopy copies a special directory of symbolic links to my
website on LA-Freenet.  It has files and directories that I think are
important, like stuff that I've written and notes on computer and
household hardware, etc.

My backup system is far from perfect.  If there was a fire or bad
earthquake, both hd's could be destroyed.  Stolen?  Who wants to steal
a PC that's so old that thrift stores will not accept it as a
donation.  But even if I lost both hd's, I'd still have some stuff on
LA-Freenet.  Even if LA-Freenet failed I'd still have stuff to recover
from search engine caches, and on some mirror sites.

			David Lawyer