[SGVLUG] Mondo Rescue Scripts

Swantje swantje at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 18:11:52 PDT 2005

On 10/14/05, Marsden MacRae <mmacrae at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Dustin wrote:
> > I forget who asked for my Mondo Rescue scripts, but they are on the
> > notes for the "Cool Tools" talk I gave last night:
> >
> > www.laurences.net/Dustin/Computer/UnixQuickies/mondorescue.html<http://www.laurences.net/Dustin/Computer/UnixQuickies/mondorescue.html>
>

> <waves hand in air>
>
> Me! Me!
>
> thanks!

I didn't ask then, but am interested in them, too.

> > Something else I forgot to stress: optical discs aren't really
> permanent.
> > They work just fine for an ongoing backup process of data that you keep
> > "live" on a hard disk somewhere, but I would be unhappy if someone took
> > what I said as a licence to archive their family photos to a CD/DVD and
> > then delete them, figuring the disc will be there forever.
> >
> > Dustin
>

> ehh? dumping photos to a CD isn't "permanent"? Could you expand please?
> offlist is fine if this is OT.
>
> thanks!
> Marsden

Please do it on-list.

I know they're not perfect, but what would be a better solution?
Last I heard, cheapo disks were not very permanent (2 years?), but brand
name ones pretty good. And CD-Rs possibly more permanent than CD-RWs.

Swantje
--
"Small things done with great love will change the world."