[SGVLUG] Cool Tools -- any volunteers? (or suggestions)

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 11:26:53 PDT 2005

On 10/4/05, Emerson, Tom <Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:
> subject pretty much says it -- do we have a volunteer this month to talk about some nifty tool or utility that they use to manage or maintain their system?  How about an interesting game or other amusement?
>
> I've recently found something that looks promising, but I don't have enough "experience" with it to give it a suitable presentation (and I don't think being only three paragraphs ahead of my audience in the manual is going to help much ;) )  However... I'm looking for suggestions on "what to do with it" so that I can assemble a nice presentation for NEXT month.  Without giving away too much as to what "tool" I'll be showing, let me ask this: is there a utility or program that you use (or would like to use) but can't remember all the switches and parameters?

I'd like to see either a short or long presentation on backup
solutions such as mondo and things similar.  I've got a linux file
server and a couple of windoze desktops.  i don't have a good backup
system.  i use a variant of mike rubel's rsync backup (it's called
rsnapshot i think) but that's just for bailing me out of a config
error discovered days or weeks later.   i replicate stuff like the
kids pictures and stuff on each computer.  occasionally, i burn a dvd
and give a copy to the grandparents but that's about it.   I'd be
interested in seeing a demonstration of mondo or equiv.

claude